We really need to do a snowkiting trip this year.
We had better than forecasted conditions at the Marina today. The wind was cranking from the SW when we showed up. I rode a 9.5 Kahoona and Armada 138, then later switched to the BWS 12 when the wind let up a bit. Late in the session, I dropped and rolled the BWS 12 during a backroll. The I think the lines went too slack, not really sure. The kite twisted and the canopy had a ton of water on it on one of the wing tips. I had to pull the kite to me to fix it, and that screwed up the lines. I had to swim into the beach just South of Bird Island to fix it. I got the lines sorted out, relaunched and head back upwind to the marina. Then I had the P-Line break on the bridle while out in the middle of the lake. I managed to fly the kite back to shore. Last time this broke, the kite spiraled out of control. This time I knew what to do. This is the second time I will have to replace these lines. I now know why they eliminated this from the following year's model.
Looks like a good day to play to the water. Anyone coming out with me?
Ice too soon.
Sorry I missed it .Thats why they invented bow kites .Cant believe Hugh missed out on a down winder
I had an adventurous session at the Marina today with offshore winds from the SSE. Kevin and I rode up to the main pool and kept heading up more and more. Once past the narrows, the wind was steadier. WE played around for a bit, but we eventually decided to try to make a run to the dam pool. The wind backed off as we got closer to the narrowing right before the dam pool. I was riding my 7m Best GP, which is not very friendly in gusty winds. it dropped out of the sky twice in a row and inverted each time. My lines were tangled so I drifted into a cove where I could fix the lines. Once Kevin saw I was having troubles, he turned around and left me for dead Anyhow, I got my lines straightened out and relaunched out of the cove. I made it past two coves, and then my kite came crashing down again in the gusts. I walked around the next point, and relaunched in yet another cove. With the kite back up in the air, I body-dragged out away from shore. I had to keep the kite moving quickly to keep the lines tight and to keep the kite back in the window. If I kept it forward, any gusts would cause it to fly too far forward and then drop on it's back. Once far enough away from the shore, I got back up on the board and rode back downwind to the Marina. The wind wasn't even close to 7m conditions at this point. I just kept looping the kite all the way downwind and charged into the sailing cove.
Tomorrow could be the last "warm" day for quite some time. It would be a shame to pass it up. The campground is closed this week, so the beach is not an option. We can still launch at the West Side. It's always sketchy to launch there, but I've done it many times. If anyone else is up for it, let me know.
The Marina will be the place to be tomorrow from 12-4pm.
I went out for an hour at the beach. Rode the 11m GP nicely powered up with steady wind. Didn't do anything special out there today. Just needed to get my fix for the day.